Years from now, the Lady Techsters will likely look back fondly on the 2017 season, a time to remember for all the right reasons. Here are a few:
- A 14-3-5 record; only three losses out of 22 matches is a program record.
- A 6-1-3 mark in Conference USA play; only one loss out of 10 matches is another program record.
- Tech qualified for the C-USA Tournament for a fourth straight year — one of only three league teams to do so — and advanced to the semifinals for only the second time in program history.
- The team’s 21 league points is another program record.
- The eight road wins ties a program record.
- Eight consecutive home matches without a loss ties the program record.
- The 14 victories tied for the second most in program history.
Expectations were higher than usual because of the rise in the program’s prominence and because of nine seniors. Those expectations shouldn’t drop this fall when the Lady Techsters take to the pitch for the 12th season with Kevin Sherry as head coach.
Of the 15 players Sherry signed this offseason, seven are defenders; Tech lost four of its starting five defenders to graduation.
Offensively, Tech is hoping its first-year Lady Techsters will add speed and versatility to an attacking front of midfielders and forwards.
“It was essential we found players in this upcoming recruiting class who can not only help add goals to our play but also have a high level of creativity in the attacking third of the field, which has been lacking in recent seasons,” Sherry said. “In order for us to take the next step up in levels we needed to find players who could give us some much needed speed in our midfield combined with a positive mindset.”
All Louisiana, chosen by the Louisiana Sports Writers Association:
- Newcomer of the Year: junior goalkeeper transfer Courtney Tompkins
- First Team: Nomvula Kgoale and Jenna Dages
- Honorable Mention: Haley Laque
All Conference USA
- First team: Kgoale
- Second team: Laque
- All Freshman: Gabi Clark
Division I Women’s Scholar All-South Region
- Kgoale and Laque
Division I Women’s All-South Region